Pros and Cons of Kingdom and Principality
There are pros and cons both to becoming a kingdom and to staying as a principality. Please read this list, which was compiled by a number of Avacalians, including through feedback we've heard so far.
Want to add some that you think we missed? Let us know!
Peerages and Awards: Pros and Cons
· Possibility of being made a Peer – the time for this to happen is potentially reduced.
· People would be made a "Peer of Avacal" (Note: a Peer is a Peer of the SCA, not a Peer of the Realm they live within).
· Avacal will be able to create awards that reflect our culture.
· When deciding on peerages, it's more likely that a higher percentage of those deciding on candidates will actually know those candidates.
· There are only 15-20 people having to watch people for Peerage.
· The Possibility of winning King is much higher (30 people in lists vs 70-100).
· Awards are at the discretion of the sitting Royalty here in Avacal, not someone in AnTir core.
· A switch to Avacal peerage and awards may change your rank in the OP.
· There are only 15-20 Peers making a decision on someone gaining Peerage, increasing the responsibility.
· Never being a "Peer of AnTir" (Note: a Peer is a Peer of the SCA, not a Peer of the Realm they live within).
· The Possibility of winning King is much higher, and the expectation to fight in Crowns would be higher (it costs on average $5,000 to be King/Queen)
· A plethora of AnTir awards will be unavailable to the populace of Avacal.
· As part of AnTir, there is a larger field of active peers to call upon to look at candidates, to be associates of, and to learn from, both as peers and as potential peers.
· As part of AnTir, there are more awards to strive for.
· As a kingdom, Avacal will never have another Viscount or Viscountess.
· As a kingdom, Avacal will never have a Tanist and Tanista again (in fact, we lose an entire level of Royalty)
SCA Travel: Pros/Cons
· Travel across the border and the costs associated with it (travel insurance) is negated – especially important for those with pre-existing conditions not having to cross a border, or vast expensive time-consuming distances to participate at kingdom level
· Travel time possibly reduced to go to Kingdom events – MapQuest puts travel from the Shire of Cold Keep to the Shire of Siglehundas at just over 15 hours vs the Shire of Bordergate to the Shire of Southmarch at over 22 hours.
· Costs to be a Ruling Monarch will potentially be reduced as the travel is more internal.
· Travel across the border and the costs associated with it (travel insurance) is negated – especially important for those with pre-existing conditions
· Travel time to major events is possibly increased if we remain a principality (the expectation to go to Kingdom events increased).
· Less chance to see friends from parent Kingdom if we stay a principality – having to choose between local and Kingdom events
· As a principality, there is more incentive to travel further afield
· As a principality, there is a potential expectation of royalty, champions, officers to travel further, to participate at Society level events and meetings
Organizational Considerations: Pros/Cons
· Canadian Law on privacy act prevails
· Canadian Health coverage
· No more stipends to the Kingdom of AnTir – currently we send a portion of every principaltiy event's proceeds to Kingdom.
· As a kingdom it would be easier to deal with conflicts between Corpora and mundane law, without the added problem of kingdom laws trying to satisfy mundane laws in two countries (waivers, privacy act, banking, not-for-profit status, insurance, drug and alcohol laws)
· Avacal would have kingdom-level recognition in the society and a more prominent voice in the organization. Also, as an all-Canadian kingdom, we could have more voice in making sure the BOD's US-centric rules are less problematic for all Canadian SCAians
· Royals, officers, councils not needing to answer to anyone but the BoD and populace (ie. More voice locally in how things are done)
· As a kingdom, Avacal would have fewer levels to go through to get issues dealt with
· As a kingdom, there would be a better flow of information and conflict resolution between corporate/group entities
· Less disenfranchisement among various groups within the new kingdom, more feeling that what one does actually has a direct effect on how the game is going around you
· Can control who has offices ourselves (people who actually know the candidates)
· Getting to have decisions made locally by people that live within Avacal's borders
· Avacal Laws stand alone and are not superseded by AnTir's
· Laws do not have to be approved by our Prince/Princess, then the Kingdom Seneschal, then the King and Queen, then go to the BOD Seneschal. An entire level of bureaucracy is removed.
· Kingdom officers report to BOD directly; they don't have to wait on replies from their Kingdom officers
· Avacal essentially runs on its own anyway due to distance from core.
· The level of Responsibility for our Officers will increase as they will report directly to the BOD. If we go to kingdom, we will lose our "safety net" of an additional level of officers checking our work
· As a principality, there are more levels (opportunities) to get issues dealt with
· As a principality, there is less pressure to maintain a high membership number
· As a principality, we have a safety net in having a kingdom over us to catch us when something goes wrong (like not having an officer for a position, another level to apply to for clarification and help)
· As a principality, there is a larger pool of potential royalty who would have 'absolute power' – the local smaller pool has a check on their power
· As a principality, there is an extra level of oversight over who is selected to hold offices
Event Management: Pros/Cons
· As a kingdom, it may become more cost effective to purchase a membership as more dates will open up locally – no more AnTir Kingdom events, but rather Avacal events
· As a kingdom, Avacal would have the ability to set our calendar and create events based on our own needs and circumstances
· As a kingom, there could be more pomp and ceremony with a K&Q who are here more than once a year
· Avacal would have the ability to set up inter-kingdom wars
· Local groups would have a better chance to get Kingdom bids
· Toasts at court will be shorter because there will be less Royalty
· Expectation to help with Kingdom level events possibly increased – responsibility level higher
· Less chance to see friends from parent Kingdom – having to choose between local and out of Kingdom events
· Expectation for those sitting to attend Pennsic or Estrella is increased
· Avacal attendance at the major inter-kingdom events is small and unlikely to increase soon – no longer part of a large group attending a major event (AnTir still faces this at Pennsic)
· As a principality, there is more pomp and ceremony because we have a P&P as well as a K&Q
· The friendships with people outside kingdom will not be at risk due to lack of seeing/communicating with each other in order to work together
· Currently, the principality has a larger teaching pool (teachers from out of principality have greater incentive to visit if we are still part of the same kingdom
Other considerations: Pros/Cons
· Avacal would be able to have pride in being our own kingdom; greater engagement with us as a group, rather than us as a group within a group (being our own centre of our universe, instead of a branch of a larger world-tree)
· It's very period for a principality/region that was previously under a different kingdom to become a kingdom in its own right
· We have our own, different culture from the rest of An Tir, and coming out from their wing allows us more freedom to develop that; make our own policies
· As a principality, there is a lot of pride in being An Tirian and part of the history of this kingdom, part of the orders of this kingdom